• We can always find our beloved pets in our hearts, but having their cremains may feel like they are still here with us. Boxes and urns have become the physical presence of the companions we have loved and lost. Stopping to look ...
Licensed Veterinary Technician Job Description
Job Description Summary: The primary purpose and function of the Veterinary Technician is to support the veterinarians, and other staff, in ensuring quality veterinary care, advocating for pets, ...
Pet Cats & Toxoplasmosis - Risk For Pregnancy and the Immunocompromised
• Concerns about toxoplasmosis revolve mainly around 2 groups: pregnant women and immunocompromised individuals. In other humans, Toxoplasma exposure typically results in ...
Keeping pets cool is not just kind; it’s crucial.
• When the temperature rises, all pets are at risk for heat stroke.
• Some pets are particularly susceptible. Brachycephalic breeds—those with a “pushed-in” appearance—are inefficient ...
New imported distemper strain in dogs
• In early October of 2018, a 12-week old “Sheltie” arrived from Korea. Approximately 12 days later, the dog began showing a cough and lethargy with blood work indicating “anemia.” About 10 days ...
ONE OF THE MOST COMMON QUESTIONS TO VETERINARIANS
• One of the most common questions veterinarians hear each week is, “When should I spay or neuter my dog or cat?” With so much conflicting advice from friends, breeders, and the Internet, it ...
Neutering is also referred to as orchidectomy or castration. It is a surgical procedure in which the testes (and associated tissues) are removed in order to sterilize, or render infertile, a male animal.
There are many behavioral ...
WHY CATS KNEAD
The kneading behavior begins early in life, while kittens are nursing. As kittens knead their mother’s mammary glands, oxytocin is released, causing milk to flow.
Animal experts believe other reasons cats knead might ...
o The cage must be big enough for your bird to stretch his/her wings (parrot-type birds) and fly (finch-type birds)
o The cage must be made from nontoxic (nonpoisonous) material (e.g., Zinc, even powder-coated can ...
Upstate Veterinary Specialties take on Diet-Associated Dilated Cardiomyopathy
• Recent evidence has led the US FDA to announce that diets including legumes, lentils, peas and potatoes as main ingredients may be linked to the development of dilated ...